EarthlinkSucks Home
Back to HOME
12/18/18 at 09:39:58
Welcome to the
EarthlinkSucks.org Forum!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems signing up, bigger problems cancelling (Read 2315 times)
Annoyed
Newbies

Yakity yak....

Problems signing up, bigger problems cancelling
07/10/08 at 18:25:30

First of all, I'd like to say how awesome it is that there are Web sites dedicated to how much EarthLink sucks.  

My story goes like this.  I decided to try out EarthLink phone and DSL after getting an offer in the mail that sounded pretty good.  It was the cheapest in the area.  As the saying goes, you get what you pay for!  

It was May of 2007.  I signed up using their "award winning" chat.  Things were going fine until I found out that it would take a month to actually get the service.  Fine, whatever.  Once they actually came out to install it, however, they couldn't figure anything out.  Apparently they had never been to my complex before.  The first guy left unsuccessfully and they sent someone maybe a couple of weeks later to figure it out.  WHY DIDN'T I GET OUT WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!?!?!?!?

As far as service goes I actually didn't have any real problems.  The problem came when I tried to cancel the service in May 2008, a year to the day that I had ordered it.  Well guess what... the "year committment" you have to agree to doesn't actually start when you order it.  It starts after they've installed in and you've had your 30 day trial, apparently.  So here I am, a week before I'm moving out of my apartment being told that I either have to pay a $150 early terminiaton fee or pay for the 2 months I won't be there.  My blood began to boil.  I called the customer service, since the live chat person was of no helped and spoke with some women.  She was nice, but told me there was NOTHING she could do.  I told her I needed to speak to someone that could do something and she say that no one could do anything.  Are you kidding me?!?!?!?  Apparently they have to pay some fee to someone else so therefore there is no way out of this crappy "year committment" thing which is actually a 14 month committment.  I told her they really need to reconsider their business practices.    

I called my sister, the lawyer, and told her what had happened.  I forwarded all the documentation and asked if I was missing something because for the life of me I could not see why I should get screwed for them not being able to get their act together.  She confirmed that their arguement was unfounded and sent a letter to someone who's in charge over there asking for my money back.  I have yet to hear from them.

Today I was FINALLY allowed to cancel my account without having to pay any early termination fees.  It took 45 minutes of live chat (I couldn't stand the on hold music for more than 5 minutes), but I officially never have to deal with them again!  Although they sure tried their hardest to sell me all sorts of stupid services.  In the meantime, I will do my best to spread the word of their crappiness.  

I recently graduated with an MBA and one thing they taught us is that an unhappy customer is way more harmful than a happy customer is helpful.  Negative word of mouth spreads like wildfire and unless they get their act together and start treating their customers right they don't deserve to be in business.

IP Logged
AngryinAZ
Newbies

Yakity yak....

Re: Problems signing up, bigger problems cancellin
Reply #1 - 07/12/08 at 22:09:05

After canceling installation (fortunately before they hooked me up; I saw how terrible the communication was and realized this was not the Earthlink I'd been with for so many years) I resolved to use the same policy for my ISP that I do for banking: choose a small, locally-owned provider. Tell them you will stay with them as long as they remain local.

The neat thing about a small local provider is you have much greater odds of getting the email address you like. My new one has 24/7 support _from people who live right here!_

IP Logged
earthlinksucker
Newbies

Yakity yak....

Reply #2 - 01/18/09 at 22:07:33

I've been a customer of earthlink since 2001. My problems began early in 2008 with ever slower service. By June I called to see what was up with things slowing down. They said they sent a line tech out to survey the equipment leading up to my house and apparently there was nothing wrong. They said since I was still using my original modem it could be the problem and if I signed up for another year they would send me a new one for 19.95. Sucker born every minute! This was my minute!

So I get the new modem and things are even slower and getting the modem to boot up was like an act of congress. To make a shorter story it took about 2 1/2 hours on the phone being transfered from one supervisor to another before I could get another modem. I had to argue to get a couple months service for free since I spent so much time on the phone. In the process the person I ended up with said there was no continuation of the 1 year contract. I was at least moderately satisfied until now. The new modem still sucked so I kept using my original.

Clear.com came to Portland this week with the new WiMax service without contracts and an office I could go down to and see a living person and deal with them. I signed up and now I have much faster service for ten dollars a month less and better customer service. I called earthlink and after waiting for 30 minutes they say I still have to finish out the contract. It took an hour waiting for this person to talk to his supervisor, who turned out to be in some high level meeting. Apparently they are going to let me out but the supervisor has to call me back (I don't know when).

I've reported the whole fiasco in detail with the BBB but I think Earthlink is so big it doesn't really matter to them. I'm a small business owner and I'm thinking that if I did things like this in my business I'd have the attorney general and all the news stations swarming me.

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers and waiting by the phone.

IP Logged
earthlinksucker
Newbies

Yakity yak....

Reply #3 - 01/23/09 at 11:41:14

Update!

I was never called back by El except by the robot survery. I was told the supervisor would call back in 24-48 hrs. So I registered a complaint with the BBB. Then I called El and cancelled my account for the cost of the modem (79.95) This took 40 minutes on the phone. The next day I got a call from El executive service. (suddenly I was important) They said they would waive all fees but they would have to reopen the account in order to return the fee and then immediately close it. It smells like another dirty trick but I went with it hoping that this actually works and they don't keep the account open and continue to charge me.

If anyone is having problems that can't be resolved they really need to make complaints. It may work. I will update again as things proceed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print